Saturday, June 28, 2014

Blogpost #6 - Girl Meets World Premiere

I wanted to write a quick response to last night's premiere of the much anticipated(at least by me) spin off of Boy Meets World, Girl Meets World.

Truth be told, there is somewhat of a nostalgic feel to the show that stems from the original. You can very much tell that the creators are trying to remain true to the original's feeling. However, I still get that Hannah Montana, Disney vibe that I'm not a huge fan of.

** Side note; I'm just now realizing that I'm a 28 year old male, who has been patiently waiting for the premiere of a Disney TV show called Girl Meets World. And, I'm blogging about it the next day after having consumed a few alcoholic beverages. I may hate myself a little. Let's continue... **

The characters are very similar and even the opening episode carries plot points that we saw in the original series. You have Riley, who is a little nerdy and awkward around the opposite sex and you have Maya, who is a trouble youth, possibly someone who will get Riley into a lot of trouble throughout the series, and it was hinted at that she has family issues. Basically, you have a female Cory and Shawn.

In an interesting move, Cory is now a teacher and teaches Riley's class. So I guess, Cory has officially become the new Mr. Feeny(more on Feeny to come).

One of my biggest gripes was that they used the word "world" and awful lot in the first episode. Cory made a big speech about how it's his world and someday it will be Riley's world, but Riley needs to make it her world, and Cory has already met the world, so now it's time for Riley to meet the world. World, world, world.

I think the show will survive a while. It seems to be a good fit for the current Disney line up(not that I've ever watched anything on Disney in the past 10 years) and the show will undoubtedly convey a good message while making kids laugh. As far as for the Boy Meets World fans, I think some will watch just for the cameos. You've already got the familiar Cory and Topanga who seem to be about the same only a little more mature, there are rumors of cameos from Eric and Shawn later on, Minkus was advertised for an upcoming episode as the father of one of Cory's students, and of course, the greatest moment of all...

"Well done, Mr. Matthews."

Mr. Feeny was in Episode 1. And the above line was all it took to keep my hooked for at least the time being.

Give it chance, I say. And if it sucks, go buy the complete series of Boy Meets World on DVD and start over.

-Ryan
www.drinknthinkn.com


"That's just what I want - to be Topanga's boyfriend. And then we can name our children Chewbacca and Plankton."
-Cory from Boy Meets World

No comments:

Post a Comment